Dear Gardening Friends,
Dates for your diary – these are the Workparty dates (all Saturdays) for 2020:
18th Jan (planning meeting in The Bothy) 10 am – noon
9th May (this may well also be an Open Morning event)
14th Nov (end of season social).
St Mary’s has again kindly agreed we can access the Bothy building for each of those dates –very handy during inclement weather!
The Bothy Garden volunteer group is now 8 years old. We are a small and enthusiastic local group keen to promote the benefits to the community of gardening together. Have your say at the forthcoming Planning Meeting how you would like to take that vision forward. You might consider any (or none!) of the following:
- do we want to register to enter the annual Surrey Wildlife Trust competition again this year?
- What would we like to grow in 2020? What worked well and not so well in 20119?
- Maintenance – what needs doing/replacing?
- ideas for recruiting new people and keeping the amazing people we already have!
- ideas for new gardening projects – e.g. can we promote national Earthworm day in 2020?
- approaching local trades for freebies (we are already registered with Leatherhead’s B&Q, which is supposed to offer ‘waste’ items to local groups, apparently)
- mutually supporting other St Mary’s groups/ Community Garden groups, etc. e.g., can we work with the St Mary’s Eco Church group and support the Flower Festival this year? And can we support ‘Who Let The Dads Out’ mornings and invite the organisers along at the end of the morning to join us?
- socials/ field trip ideas
- outreach – we have typically managed 3 outreach work parties per year to directly benefit local residents – do we feel this is important, and if so, who would like an outreach event/ to nominate a friend in need of one? We have existing opportunities for supporting the local sensory garden at the Infants School and a one-off project at West Horsley Place later this month.
In addition, if you have any spare seeds, do bring them along to swap or give away. I’m bringing refreshments to give away! Feel free to invite friends along who might be interested in joining or finding out about our group.
As always, If you can’t make it, do email me anyway with any ideas or questions which I can raise on your behalf.
Looking forward to a productive 2020,