Dates for your diary – these are the Workparty dates (all Saturdays) for 2019:
19th Jan (planning meeting in The Bothy) 10 am – noon
11th May (this may well also be an Open Morning event)
16th Nov (end of season social).
We’ve had some hot and cool temperatures since our last workparty in March, storm Hannah came and went – and very little rain! Nevertheless, the vegetables planted and sown are growing, and the roses recently blooming. I’ve been given a small edible fig tree – Brown Turkey variety – and feel if planted with care and due regard to constrain its root system, it will thrive near the tall wall as it fruits best with sun and heat.
Our work-party and informal Open Morning runs from 10 am until noon, or pop over as and when you can – all welcome, and no prior experience needed. Refreshments served in the Bothy for volunteers and visitors throughout the morning. I’d like to offer visitors and our group alike, to sow a sunflower seed to take home and nurture so there will be an extra table set up by the garden for this. I’ll also dig out my bunting to bring along as well as the display used recently in the Church Hall: if it’s wet, we’ll set that up inside the Bothy. I’ve had apologies from Sarah – thank you.
Jobs for Saturday include:
- Lightly trim the box balls in the Memorial Garden’s concrete planters; mulch with Bothy compost
- secure support railings for raspberry canes to new posts
- Harvest the older spinach leaves and remove roots for compost heap; remove the cavalo nero bush similarly – bash the woody stalk!
- Harvest rocket salad leaves
- Add grass clippings to the new compost heap/add around veg to mulch moist soil
- Lightly trim the privet hedge, especially to the right of the vertical pallet planter
- Plant 2 mother-in-law’s tongues at the top sections of the vertical pallet planter
- Place/weave plant supports around base of tall herbaceous perennials in front of low privet hedge
- Welcome and chat to visitors
- Man the sunflower activity as needed
- trim long grass around edge of lawn areas
- dig a hole near trellis, line with slabs, infill with compost-enriched soil, plant fig tree
- Scope to sow more veg seeds directly into bed near pear tree (complete the weeding first!)
- Top up water in bird bath and mini-pond as needed.
See you soon