Dates for your diary – these are the Workparty dates (all Saturdays) for 2019:
19th Jan (planning meeting in The Bothy) 10 am – noon
11th May (this may well also be an Open Morning event)
16th Nov (end of season social).
St Mary’s has again kindly agreed we can access the Bothy building for each of those dates –very handy during inclement weather!
The Bothy Garden volunteer group is unbelievably now 7 years old. We are a small and enthusiastic local group keen to promote the benefits to the community of gardening together. Have your say at the forthcoming Planning Meeting how you would like to take that vision forward. You might consider any (or none!) of the following:
- do we want to register as an ‘It’s Your Neighbourhood’ group (part of the ‘Britain in Bloom’ scheme – we have done this in the past) or enter the annual Surrey Wildlife Trust competition this year?
- What would we like to grow in 2019? What worked well and not so well in 2018?
- Maintenance – what needs doing/replacing?
- ideas for recruiting new people and keeping the amazing people we already have!
- ideas for new gardening projects – e.g. can we promote national Earthworm day in 2019?!
- approaching local trades for freebies (we are already registered with Leatherhead’s B&Q, which is supposed to offer ‘waste’ items to local groups, apparently)
- mutually supporting other St Mary’s groups/ Community Garden groups, etc. e.g., can we donate surplus produce to Leatherhead Foodbank, and/or work with the St Mary’s Eco Church group? And can we support ‘Who Let The Dads Out’ mornings and invite the organisers along at the end of the morning to join us?
- socials/ field trip ideas
- outreach – we have typically managed 3 outreach work parties per year to directly benefit local residents – do we feel this is important, and if so, who would like an outreach event/ to nominate a friend in need of one?
In addition, if you have any spare seeds, do bring them along to swap or give away. I’m bringing refreshments to give away! Feel free to invite friends along who might be interested in joining or finding out about our group.
As always, If you can’t make it, do email me anyway with any ideas or questions which I can raise on your behalf.